Monday, November 7, 2011

The Daily Successes


Navigating daily life in a new city, country, and language often has its challenges and rewards. After one week, I can comfortably buy groceries, order a caffe e brioche at a bar, order food in a restaurant, and buy the necessities of life – like slippers, for example (which needed to be exchanged for a different size), socks (I ran out!), a scratch pad, and lots of little things for the apartment.  Today, I did laundry! Simple, right? I dried my clothes at a self-serve laundromat.  My apartment doesn’t have a dryer and well, for 3, it was worth having access to a dryer as it would probably take 5 days for my clothes to dry naturally! I also found the local dry cleaner, visited the two local palestre (gyms), and bought a 9-month membership at Ricciardi – a 5 minute walk from home.

My original plan was to start school today, but I was finding it time consuming getting settled in, understanding the daily rhythm of Italian life, changing my schedule (eating lunch at 13:30, dinner at 20:00, trying to stay up until midnight, getting up at 7:30!) and decompressing after 25 years of full-time work.  So, I registered for school last week but with a start date of lunedi 14 Novembre. It was a wise decision, so thank you Marie for your generous counsel. Tomorrow will be a trial run of a “new normal” day with 4 hours in the morning dedicated to self-study, a visit to my new gym, and who knows what else. It’s all very satisfying.