Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 37 - Being a Tourist Again

Michael, in Firenze, July 2012

My friend Michael arrived shortly after Tania and David left for Israel. Michael was my last visitor and he was a newbie to Firenze but not to Italy.  With only 3 weeks left before I headed home, hosting Michael gave me a chance to be a tourist all over again.  Despite the hot weather, we busied ourselves with visits to the Boboli Gardens, Santa Maria Novella, Fiesole, the Uffizi (naturally), the Cappella Medici in San Lorenzo, and even made it to the gym for a workout together. 

The Palazzo Vecchio and its tower.
One new experience I had with Michael was visiting the tower (torre) of the Palazzo Vecchio.  I had looked at the tower almost every day while I was in Firenze because it is the second tallest structure after the dome of the Duomo, and during the summer months, it’s open to tourists.  The torre served as a lookout, is part of the battlements of the palazzo, has a huge clock, and also contains two small prisoner cells.  The cells were only ever used twice: once to imprison Cosimo di Giovanni degli Medici (Cosimo the Elder, as he is commonly known) for a few nights, and then to imprison that nasty priest Savonarola before he was hanged in the Piazza della Signoria.  It was fascinating to see this iconic part of the palazzo and I’m glad we walked the 400+ steps to do it!
 

Looking down onto Piazza della Signoria from the torre.
The lagoon, Venice, July 2012

Another day, we hopped on a train for a day-trip to Venezia, because we could and Michael had never been there before. Venice was not quite as crowded as I expected it to be for a summertime visit, but it was still bustling with tourists in all the main spots.  We really only had time to do “one thing” while there, and we chose to see the Palazzo Ducale (the Doge’s Palace.)  I had been once before, back on my first trip to Italy in the early 1990’s, but is appears in almost every picture of Venice ever taken.  And with my new, deeper appreciation for Italian art, culture, and history, the palace was a definite highlight.

The Palazzo Ducale, Venice, July 2012
Inside the Palazzo Ducale.  This is the top of the main staircase.
 
After only six short days, it seemed Michael left as quickly as he arrived.  With his departure, I had hosted 10 sets of visitors/15 people during my 9 months in Firenze.  I appreciated everyone who came to stay with me, and I quickly learned that every guest was unique and different, and each experienced Firenze differently.  Having visitors gave me the opportunity to see Florence and Italy differently than when I was by myself.  I learned new things about my friends by having them as resident guests, and they taught me how to be a (hopefully) good host and better friend.  Best of all, I got to spend quality time with the people who are important in my life, and that is the true gift of being the host.

The juxaposition of the picture,
taken from the train in Mestre outside of Venice, says it all.