Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Trip Home


The alarm sounded at 04:00hrs, but I did manage to get 6 hours of sleep my final night in Firenze.  Kendra and I went out for a farewell dinner the night before at my local hangout – I Ghibellini, and my final walk was down to the River Arno at Ponte alle Grazie. I was clutching the lock I had used at the gym.  There is a tradition in Italy of young couples fixing locks to bridges to show their undying love for each other. On many bridges, you’ll see long chains of locks locked together, often with names and dates painted on them.  While I was not in love, I thought it fitting to attach my gym lock to the Ponte alle Grazie as a sign that Florence had captured my heart. It was the one physical momento that I had lived there – existent on the bridge until the locks get cut off, or maybe not.  Either way, it was my way of saying goodbye to the city.

At precisely 05:00hrs, my cab arrived and 20 minutes later, I was at the airport for a 06:30hrs flight to Frankfurt and a 10:30 flight to Toronto.  Everything was going smoothly until we got to the end of the runway and the steering computer for the front wheels malfunctioned. Back to the terminal for a reset, and we were off – 1 hour behind schedule.  At this point, I was resigned to the fact that I would probably miss my connection to Toronto. But Luftansa pulled out all the stops in Frankfurt for connecting passengers to Toronto and San Fransisco, and we had our own little shuttle bus to the departure terminal.

With 30 minutes to spare, I made the Toronto flight, which was full and uneventful and the nine hours seemed to fly by (pun intended!)  It did not really feel like I was going home.  Rather, it felt like I was going for a visit to Toronto to see all my friends.  Passing through the airport felt strangely new, and remarkably familiar, which is how I felt for the first week back in Toronto.

Barb Track had offered to pick me up, but a severe thunderstorm had closed down the airport shortly after we landed.  Nobody was going anywhere, and nothing was getting unloaded from the airplanes including luggage. Three-and-half hours later, things started moving again. By this time, I had sent Barb home (since she’d waited long enough – thank you Barb!) and I was sure I could deal with my luggage and bike by myself and get home safely in a limo.  I finally made it back to my apartment at 6pm - 20 hours into the day.

Fresh off the plane - July 31, 2012
@ Zucca with Lawrence (front left) and gang

The day, however, was not done.  My good friend Lawrence Bennett was celebrating his 70th birthday that night and I could not miss the party.  So, I showered, changed my shirt and off I went for celebratory cocktails.  Cocktails turned into dinner at Zucca, an Italian restaurant uptown at Yonge and Eglinton.  By this point I didn’t really know what time it was, but it was sure fun to see my friends again and regale them with stories from my Italian adventure.

 When my head hit the pillow at midnight, I had been awake for 26 hours, travelled 7,061 kilometres (4,388 miles) through 6 time zones, two continents, three countries, and it felt good to be home.